Sunday, January 23, 2011

Knox and Mommy Day


Miss Jeriann wasn't available on Wednesday, so I got to stay home with Knox. I thought it would be fun to go to the zoo. We've been there a few times before, but Knox was too small to understand.

After breakfast, we headed out. They opened at 9:00 am and we were some of the first people through the gates.

A lot of the animals weren't out yet. But some were having breakfast and we were lucky enough to see them up cloase and personal.

Knox really enjoyed watching the monkeys swing and jump. And when they started howling, he was talking back to them.

He was also fascinated by the peacocks and other birds that roam loose on the sidewalks.

And then at 10:00 it was time to feed the giraffes!

On this particular morning, the giraffes were getting carrots. I bought our giraffe food and handed one to Knox.

He promptly stuck it in his mouth, much to Denver's (the giraffe) dismay.

She was persistant, though, and finally Knox realized that it was sort of like feeding the puppies. He is ALWAYS willing to share his snacks with Vinnie and Cooper, despite requests from Mommy and Daddy otherwise.

I told him that sharing with Denver would be OK, this time.

He didn't even flinch when her giant giraffe tongue reached out. I wondered if she would go for his cup of Cheerios, too. But she didn't seem interested.

It was an amazing experience being so close to the giraffes. I am looking forward to feeding them many more times.

After that we went to see the flamingos and ducks. They were definitely interested in Knox's Cheerios, but we did not share.

The otters were out, but not too active (it was kind of chilly to be swimming so early!), and it was a little bit hard for Knox to see them from the stroller, anyway.

It was so nice to spend a day out with my little dude. (And I did not miss being at work.) I could definitely get used to this!

He fell asleep before we got out the gates. I think he had a good time, too.


1 comment:

Nini said...

SO FUN! Love that you got to feed the giraffe! I love giraffes...just amazing!