Wednesday, October 5, 2011

And Then There Were Four...


On Ib's recommendation I took the final week before Thane's arrival off and, while he dropped Knox off at daycare and went to work, I spent some quality ME time at the house. OK, truthfully, I spent most of it either cleaning or shopping, but that is neither here nor there.
Much to my dismay, Thane did not make his appearance early. There were a couple times that I suggested to Ib we might be headed to the hospital but I was vetoed.

We opted for Plan B...and Thane was served his eviction notice. Ma (Ib's mom, Maria) flew in to spend 10 days with us, arriving on the afternoon of September 17th. Thanks to Skype, Knox recognized Grandma, and was instantly comfortable.

Sunday morning, after our last breakfast as a family of three (plus Grandma!) Ib and I headed to the hospital while Knox and Grandma waited by the phone for news of Little Brother's grand entrance to the world.

At 9:30 am we were rocking and rolling, and just in time for the pre-game shows! Our delivery suite was the best in the hospital, with a beautiful view of both the Catalina and Rincon Moutains. The rest of the morning was spent cheering Ib's Redskins and my Bills on to victories.

Finally, around 2:20 that afternoon, my midwife and the Dr. gave the OK to break my water. And that's when things got exciting!

Let's just say that the epidural didn't work quite as well this time around. But Thane didn't waste any time...in less than an hour he was in my arms! Born 09.18.11 at 3:13 PM. Weighing 7.2 pounds and measuring 19 1/2" long.

Grandma and Knox made their way to the hospital to meet the little guy. Knox was all hugs and kisses.

And Grandma was all smiles: The first of 6 grandchildren that she was able to see on Birth Day!

I was hoping to be home in time for the late game, but they made us stay overnight.

We were finally given the OK to go home late on Monday afternoon.

There were more first meetings for Thane when we arrived at home.

Vinnie and Cooper had lots of kisses, too.

Knox initiated his little brother into the family by sniffing his "stinky toes". He passed the test.

And he took his duty as Big Brother very seriously from the start. Any time Thane cries, Knox wants to know what's wrong. Any time Thane is out of sight, Knox wants to know where brother is.

Grandma baked Thane's first, ever, birthday cake while Ib and I were still at the hospital and we celebrated after dinner.

The next few days, Knox could be found hanging out with his brother.

He's even sharing some of his favorite toys, already.

And he is a very helpful helper.

With a little planning, Ma was able to see all 4 of her sons (not to mention 5 grandkids!) in one trip! Despite the increased pain factor during labor, my recovery seemed overnight. I felt so great that I decided to make the trip to Phoenix to visit Hass & Amy and Farlan's family.

And, really, when you see little faces like these, how could you not feel amazing?



It's been a crazy ride so far and I imagine it will only get wilder! But we feel so blessed to have these two beautiful little guys. Say "Hello" to the 4 Contessa's.


No comments: