Friday, December 18, 2009

Deck the Halls


While Knox and I were in Pennsylvania, Ib was busy picking out the perfect tree for our first Christmas as a family of five (4-legged children, included). He had all the lights on it but saved the decorating for our return.

Growing up, my Grandma Clark always had the most wonderful trees...one year the tree would be decorated in red and white, the next: blue and silver. Everything matched. Our tree was always a mis-mash of random ornaments and a rainbow of colors. I vowed that when I had "my own Christmas tree" it would be like Grandma's.

And my first few trees were. Martha Stewart would have been proud...my burgundy and gold bulbs with velvet ribbon wrapping the tree...

But when I opened the crate of Christmas decorations that Ib had dragged out of the closet, I realized that some of the most important things in life aren't always color coordinated.


Save for the few glass bulbs, all our ornaments are special in some way. Grandma Clark's reindeer, that I admired as they stood proudly on the window sill every year. Ro's handmade sequined ornaments...reminiscent of those Ma made for their childhood Christmases. The ceramic Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy that were on our Christmas tree for as long as I can remember. And the stuffed Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy that Ma gave Ib and I the year we surprised them in New Hampshire.

So our Christmas tree is a mis-mash of ornaments and colors. It is memories. It is family. It is love. And it is perfect.

Our stockings are hung by the window with care. They are a little empty this year, but our hearts are overflowing with all the blessings 2009 has brought us. And that is what matters.

Wishing you and yours the Merriest of Christmases.

1 comment:

Nini said...

I love your tree! And I love the mish mash of ornaments...we have some of the very same ones! Sure would love to sit around your tree with you! Maybe one day!